1. Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time.
2. Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
3. What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
4. Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.
5. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
6. Think about an academic subject that inspires you. Describe how you have furthered this interest inside and/or outside of the classroom.
7. What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
8. Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for admissions to the University of California?
Request Teacher Letters of Recommendation in Family Connection-Students
Students have a new workflow for requesting letters of recommendation in Family Connection.
Letter of Recommendation Features
New letters of recommendation page, accessible from the Colleges tab in Family Connection via a link
Students will see the min/max requests allowed for colleges in their Colleges I'm Applying to list
Students can select the Specific College(s) they want a specific teacher to write a recommendation
Students can select All current and future colleges I add to my Colleges I'm Applying to list be sent (Students are prevented from requesting more than the max number of letters of recommendation allowed by the college
Students will see their requests as well as the current status (Requested, In Progress, Submitted, Cancelled)
Students will see the date/time of each status change, as well as the name of the user who made the change
If a student deletes an application, the associated letter of recommendation requests will not be displayed on the letters of recommendation status page; if the application is restored, the letter of recommendation requests will re-appear in the student's list of requests
A daily summary email – which will eliminate the multiple emails coming into recommenders (teachers) at the time of the recommendation request
To request a letter of recommendation:
From the Colleges tab in Family Connection, students will click on a new link under the My Colleges section, titled Letters of Recommendation.
On the recommendation request page, students will click on the blue Add Request button to submit their requests, one teacher at a time or for all applications.
The student should select a teacher from the drop-down list. It is important to note that teachers will only be available in this drop-down list if they have been added to Naviance, given a user account, and had the box checked to appear in this teacher drop-down list. If the teacher is missing from the drop-down list, students should contact a school staff member.
The student should determine if they want the teacher to write a letter of recommendation for specific colleges on their College's I'm Applying to list or for all current and future colleges they add to their list.
Click the Radio button next to the appropriate selection.
Scenario 1: If the student selects Choose specific colleges from your Colleges I'm Applying To list, all colleges show in student's list. The student should check the box for the specific college(s) teacher should write recommendations.
Scenario 2: If the student selects All current and future colleges I add to my Colleges I'm Applying To list,colleges on student's list are not shown. (Selecting this option indicates you want the teacher's recommendation to be submitted to every college you apply.)
The student can add a personal note (up to 3000 characters) to the teacher and highlight any important aspects of their applications (such as first choice schools, early decision applications, intended major or degree of study), that they may want the teacher to consider when writing a letter of recommendation.
The student should click the Submit Request button at the top or bottom of the screen which returns them to their recommendation status page. At the top of the screen, a green status bar shows the teacher's name and the number of request for the student.
From here, he or she will see the status for all Teacher Recommendations requests that have been made. (All applications or college specific)
Screenshot: Step 1- Letters of Recommendation link
Screenshot: Step 2- Add Request button
Screenshot: Steps 3 and 4 - Select Teacher, Colleges or All Applications
Screenshot: Scenario 1 Specific College
Screenshot: Scenario 2 All Applications
Screenshot: Step 9 Recommendation Statuses
Requesting a Letter of Recommendation from a Teacher/Counselor: *YOU MUST FIRST ASK YOUR TEACHER/COUNSELOR IN PERSON WITH A MINIMUM OF 3 WEEKS NOTICE* - only necessary IF COLLEGE is requesting a letter of recommendation – UC/CSU do NOT request a letter.
*This process CANNOT begin until you have completed your “Brag Sheet” – under “about me” tab, left-hand side
1. When you get to “School Forms” on the Common App you will see the below screen which states:
2. Log into Naviance
3. Click on colleges tab
4. Click on “college I’m applying to” folder
5. Follow FERPA instructions below
6. Click “add/cancel” requests under Teacher Recommendations (you will find your Counselor under here as well)
7. Select the teacher/counselor from the drop-down menu
8. Write a detailed message to your teacher/counselor – Simply sending the email request is not sufficient BUT MANDATORY.
9. Click “Update Requests” and it will be sent to teacher/counselor
10. The letter will be mailed directly to the school and the student is not provided with a copy of the letter
11. Your final step is to write a thank you note to those who wrote your letter of recommendation. It will make their day and show that you appreciate the time they took writing the letter(s)
This year, the PSAT/NMSQT test will be administered to all sophomores and juniors, free of charge. All sophomores and juniors are already registered to take the exam so all they need to do is show up on testing day. This year, the PSAT/NMSQT will be on October 11. Please make sure that your student eats a good breakfast and brings two- #2 pencils, an authorized calculator and arrives at school on time. Thank you for your cooperation. - Ms. Ward